Adding a ladder rack to a work van is an easy decision. Not only does it free up valuable space inside, but the system protects the ladder from harm (or causing damage in the cargo area). Yet a more challenging choice may be deciding whether to install the rack yourself or hire a professional.
There’s no clear-cut answer about which direction to take. It comes down to what approach works best for your business. Do you have the skills and resources to go the DIY route? Or, are you more inclined to bring in an expert to avoid unpleasant surprises? Read on as we explore both sides of the ladder rack installation coin.
Ladder Rack Installation: Do-It-Yourself
Assembling and installing a ladder rack isn’t an overly complex project; someone who handles tools regularly and can follow directions is well-equipped for such a task. And the manufacturers of premium ladder racks do an excellent job of offering detailed guides and installation videos for extra ease.
DIY ladder rack installation is ideal:
- For someone who can thoroughly follow the manufacturer’s directions
- With an installer who is comfortable using essential tools
- Where there is plenty of room to spread out
Space requirements include having enough area to lay out the rack before installation. In addition, the area adjacent to the van’s roof needs to be free of hazards like lights and electrical wires. And also, keep in mind that the installer will need to climb a ladder for adequate access to the van roof.
Ladder Rack Installation: Professional Services
Sometimes, using a professional installer is the best way to complete a ladder rack project. There’s no worrying about who or how, and you can stay focused on running your company. Importantly, hiring an experienced installer can prevent damage to the van or the ladder rack.
Let a professional handle things if there is:
- Insufficient time for proper installation
- Unfamiliarity with the tasks required to complete the job
- A van fleet needing ladder rack installation
Yes, it can make sense to handle the process on your own or through an employee, assuming the willingness, ability, and resources are in place. Just think about the opportunity costs for taking your eyes off the ball.
But, just don’t hire anyone claiming to be a professional installer. You want someone who:
- Has experience working with your type of ladder rack
- Is familiar with the make and model of your work van
- Can complete the job within the time requirements
- Is licensed and insured
Ready For You Ladder Rack Resources
Check out Upfit University for helpful articles on ladder rack systems and installation.
- Which Ladder Rack Is Right For Me?
- Weather Guard vs. Kargo Master Ladder Racks
- The Top 6 Drop-Down Ladder Racks for Cargo Vans
- How To Install Kargo Master Ladder Racks on Ford Transit Vans
- How To Install Kargo Master Ladder Racks on Sprinter Vans
- How To Install Kargo Master Ladder Racks on RAM ProMaster Vans
Your Ladder Rack Experts
Help with ladder racks is just a call or click away. The professionals at Upfit Supply can assist before, during, and after the upfit process. Contact us today for expert guidance with all your work van upgrade needs.